Sunday, May 28, 2017

Scars #KidsDeserveIt


"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

I have never understood the value in that simple statement.  I have heard it my entire life though, as I'm sure many of you have.  But if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that words do hurt.

Writing has always been a cathartic experience for me.  It affords me the opportunity to communicate my thoughts much more clearly than if I were to express them verbally.  So here goes...

I guess the best way to start out is by expressing what I know many will understand, I am not perfect.  I have never claimed to be "the best" or someone who even "has it all together".  I have a personality type that never feels as if I'm worthy of any recognition I've received for what I've accomplished.  I know it's a personal flaw of mine, but it's something that's always been with me.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying some of the work that I have been a part of. I'm just saying that despite some successes I've had in my life, I never quite feel like I've done it right.  And I'm reflective.  I'm always seeking feedback, wanting input, and identifying ways that I can be better for next time.

As educators, we are in that type of profession that allows for constant feedback and/or criticism.  You all know what I'm talking about.  That student who tells you suck at life, that parent who tells you that you don't know what you're doing, that colleague who only complains about everything, and that administrator who makes you feel worthless.  We've all experienced at least one of those in this career.

But sometimes, in this role, we get great feedback too!  We hear ideas on ways we can make our lesson better, we are shown examples of resources we can use to better ourselves, or we get that feedback that there are some things that we do that are fantastic.  And those moments put gas in our tanks.  They help us keep pushing along when the nights can feel so dark.

And then just due to timing, we can feel bombarded by the negative.  That was me this week.

Now before I get into this next part, I don't want this to sound like I'm complaining or saying "woe is me".  I promise I'm going somewhere with this.

In "Kids Deserve It" I wrote about someone with whom I used to work with.  Someone who left our team under very dark circumstances.  And when they left they bombarded me constantly through social media, email, and texting about how I was the most terrible person they had ever met.  How I clearly wasn't a Christian.  How I do nothing right and am only placed here to ruin lives.

It brought back memories of being in High School, being a student who NEVER got in trouble, but one day was called into the principal's office and told (by the principal and assistant) that I was a punk kid who was a loser and would never be a leader at the school or in life. 

Though I knew the words they said weren't true.  They have stuck with me to this day.  Years down the road.  And every time I am feeling not so up to par, those words come sneaking back into my mind.

Then this week, I got to experience something like that again.  Three anonymous sources, shared some feedback with me.  And it wasn't your typical feedback.  It was extremely personal, deeply negative, and meant to cut to the bone.  And it crushed me.   And it brought back the memories.

"When the principal sneezes, the whole school gets a cold".  A phrase I often remember.  I always take that phrase to mean that, as the principal, I help set the tone for the school.  My demeanor and attitude can leave ripples felt all day long.

So when I received the crushing feedback on Tuesday (right after spending 4 hours in a dunking booth), I closed my door and cried.  I let it out.  Then I sat there and remembered that my only option was to take what I could from their remarks, learn from them, and put it on the back burner for now while I go out there and be there for the kids.

So I left my office and went out into the school with a smile, with jokes, with hugs, and no one was any the wiser.

And what did I do later that afternoon and evening? I reached out to my support system.  To people who would help me digest the information and not take it so deeply personal.  And it wasn't easy.  At first I didn't want to tell anyone what was said about me.  I was embarrassed.  And on a crazy level, it brought up those memories from the past, and I sat there and thought "maybe all this venom is true".

And now, it's been almost a week.  And every word that was written is still fresh in my mind.  It still hits me throughout the day and tells me "you're a loser", "no one likes you", "you do a terrible job", "you're a terrible person".  And I know these things aren't true.  I know it.  But they're there.

And the funny thing is?  No one in my day to day work life (except my assistant principal Aaron) knew what I had read about myself.  But the week was capped off with little reminders here and there from staff, from students, from parents, and from my own family who helped remind me of the worth I bring.  Who helped me refocus myself.

So I share all of this for several reasons.  

I share my story to hopefully give some hope to those who are going through something similar.  You are not alone. 

I share my story to remind you that we have to lean on others in times of despair.  And I am the toughest one to get that through my head, because I never want to add to anyone's already busy lives.  But we CAN'T do this alone. And I know without the support of my friends this week, I wouldn't have made it through.

And finally, I share this story to remind us all that words matter.  That wounds left from hateful speech, aren't wounds that heal.  They often leave scars that never go away.  But we can let those scars be reminders that we were strong enough to survive.

I know life, and experiences, are all about perspective.  And I try to keep my focus on the things that I have to be thankful for.  The experiences (good and bad) that have taught me so much.  To keep leaning on my friends around me.

Feedback is important, criticism is important, reflection is important.  But there is a way to do that so that we all can grow better together.

We all have wounds.  We all have scars.  I myself have been guilty of saying or doing things that I knew have left scars in someone else's life and I have tried to make amends for those moments I was made aware of.

But today, my encouragement and reminder to us all, is to think through what we say and do before it's something we can't take back.  And if it's too late, if it's already out there, take the time to find that person and apologize. And mean it.

Scars don't heal, but we can learn from them and become better.  And today, I choose to be better.

27 comments:


  1. Benefits from Rapid Fast Keto Boost
    It consists of all-herbal elements which can be free from any destructive results
    Shows first-rate weight Rapid Fast Keto Boost reduction effects in the time.
    Never provide any damage to the frame in gives in later existence.
    Fast the metabolism or make it extra green for the overall performance.
    The pleasant antioxidant that clears the body from all toxins.
    Suppress the starvation or completely gets rid of the desire for bad eating behavior of the person.
    Make brain cells extra active in the whole day sports.
    Add some electricity healthy the bones or person skeleton muscle mass.
    Lower the risk of getting every other existence-threatening difficulty or persistent ailment.
    Remove stubborn fat from all frame locations or will never are available lifestyles again.
    Rapid Fast Keto Boost

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to Buy Keto Fit Pro?
    Keto Fit Pro is most effective available shape the reputable website of the business Keto Fit Pro enterprise. They don’t sell it on the retail stores. To purchase this device, you want to visit the employer’s true internet site and vicinity your order. You may have your bottle in a few agency days.
    Read News >> https://sites.google.com/site/ketofitpronew/

    ReplyDelete


  3. Final Words
    With each passing day, Keto Twenty One new weight loss dietary nutritional dietary supplements are coming to the markets. This is one of the great weight loss dietary dietary supplements within the on line marketplace. The use of this supplement will sell metabolism, improve fat burning and lose considerable weight. Go in advance and click on on photo to get this additives.
    Read More >>> https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/what-is-keto-twenty-one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nature Crave Keto abit and the kinds of foods consumed. Changing eating habit is the hardest part of and some people fail in doing their s because they cannot cope with the change in their eating habit. Some people give too much concentration on exercising without taking care of what they eat. Exercising is important but if it is not combined with the proper foods that it will not give great result for the plans. In fact, exercise contributes of . It is a small number compared to food factor. It means that is times more effective in losing rather than only doing exercise alone. What you need to do to achieve your target is finding program that is specially .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbiesmiracles Where To Buy debbiesmiracles?
    We do not forget that on the identical time as analyzing about debbiesmiracles, this is all you can hold in thoughts. You check the advantages that it has had at the life of human beings, and then you definately certainly actually really in fact definitely definately go through in thoughts the outcomes that it is able to need for your existence.
     

    READ MORE >>> https://debbiesmiracles.com/

    http://debbiesmiraclesreview.mystrikingly.com/

    https://sites.google.com/site/debbiesmiraclesreview/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharktankpedia Helps to do away with from all stress or despair. This product will make your mind calm or free from all tensions which may be the purpose for weight problems as nicely.


    Another hand, this has green tea extracts which might be medically confirmed detail to boom the metabolism on foot talents. The person of this supplement has 60% better fashionable number one everyday not unusual commonplace simple average performance charge than the common individual in reality because of the inexperienced tea extracts.


    READ MORE >>> https://sharktankpedia.org/

    http://sharktankpediareview.mystrikingly.com/

    https://sites.google.com/site/sharktankpediareview/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Governmenthorizons governmenthorizons Diet
    governmenthorizons Diet
    governmenthorizons Review
    The ketogenic weight loss plan is one of the maximum herbal strategies to shed kilos FAST. So, why not attempt it? According to the Official governmenthorizons Website, those tablets have the strength to help you:

    Get Natural Keto Weight Loss
    Adjust to Ketosis Faster
    Burn Fat for Energy
    Support Health
    Boost Body Confidence
    And More!


    READ MORE >>> https://www.governmenthorizons.org/

    http://governmenthorizonsweb.mystrikingly.com/

    https://sites.google.com/site/governmenthorizonsweb/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Autobodycu autobodycu Final judgment?
    Being obese can surely be a nuisance, but now you could eliminate this problem with the help of autobodycu . Get rid of teasing and lack of self guarantee in recent times.
    Are you facing the symptoms of obesity? Well, if you have been suffering from obesity, you must have faced millions and trillions of problems, which come along with it. Talking about obesity, it has become an eminent disease that has to engulf numerous people within its grasp. So, the question arises over here is that how can we cure this prominent problem?


    READ MORE >>> https://www.autobodycu.org/

    https://sites.google.com/site/autobodycu/

    http://autobodycu.mystrikingly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thrust RX Men In the course of the 2004 Confederations Cup, Adriano was named Participant of the Event. Thrust RX Ronaldinho has just acquired his second FIFA international player of the yr award in a row. The only nationwide team that Brazil didn't claim any victory is Norway. Since then, the national facet did not win the tournament, however they paving the best way for the Uruguayan World Cup soccer crew in South Africa in June 2010. The Copa CONMEBOL (English: CONMEBOL Cup) was an annual football cup competition organized by CONMEBOL between 1992 and 1999 for South American football clubs. The Brazilian men's nationwide basketball workforce received the World Championship in 1963. Fifteen years ago, the crew of Bolivia gained the South American Cup, on the expense of Paraguay (runner-up), Argentina and Brazil. At their peak, Uruguayan squad -an ideal Latin American pleasure- gained consecutive Olympic soccer gold medals in 1924 - at the moment no different Latin American country had even won the Olympian trophy- and 1928, in addition to winning the first-ever males's World Cup title in 1930.
    https://www.thefitnesssupplement.com/thrust-rx/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where to shop for?
    Bioviderma Serum Bioviderma Serum may be requested on the net. Simply go to its right internet internet site online on-line and fill within the certifications. Additionally, make the net installment and it's miles going to be conveyed indoors a limited capability to interest time.


    SHOP NOW >>>>> https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/bioviderma-serum-does-it-really-work-read-review-before-buy

    https://sites.google.com/site/biovidermaserum/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ultra Pure 360 Keto This USA primarily based product will show you in the on-line market keep you will get this from its legitimate site. Just click on the photo that is in the front of you. It will redirect you from the v legitimate website online, read all details or verify your order.

    Make certain you'll add all statistics carefully, or this complement will for your hand inside the few running days, examine the bottled description first earlier than beginning this product. Hope so you will get the gest results in short time.


    READ MORE >>>>> https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/ultra-pure-360-keto-reviews-price-side-effects-buy

    http://ultrapure360keto.mystrikingly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Advanced Keto Plus How Does Advanced Keto Plus Help in Weight Loss?
    You may have heard ketosis which a special stage where the body burns fat for energy. This stage comes only in the presence of useful ketones. These ketones are not sufficiently available in the body, but this product contains BHB ketones that lead to the efficient burning of the fat molecule. In this way, a body loses weight without going to any trouble. These supplements are helpful to get rid of carbs and depend on fats. All this happens without any side effects.


    READ MORE >>> https://sites.google.com/site/advancedketoplusweb/

    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/advanced-keto-plus-review-level-up-with-fat-burning

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truvalast Besides offering intercourse benefits, the product is likewise capable of imparting users some of fitness advantages, as nicely. Furthermore, the positive evaluations further to the coins yet again assure further display that the supplement is the maximum real male enhancement product presently available to be had on the market.

    READ MORE >>> https://sites.google.com/site/truvalastnew/

    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/truvalast-review-improves-your-relationship

    ReplyDelete
  14. Novum Health Keto What is Novum Health Keto Diet?
    Novum Health Keto Diet is nothing short of a boon for today’s population where more than 60% of people are suffering from obesity. It has hit the market like a storm and is refusing to get calm. The media is frenzied over Novum Health Keto Diet and it has become the doctor’s favorite in no time.


    READ MORE >>> https://sites.google.com/site/novumhealthketo/

    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/novum-health-keto-most-used-diet-supplement-of-the-year

    ReplyDelete
  15. Primal Grow Pro Pros
    Comes with a hundred% cash once more guarantee
    Makes you stronger, lively and happy
    Increases your sexual electricity and preference
    Safe to apply, whole delight guaranteed
    Cons
    This has not been evaluated via FDA
    Not created to be used by human beings below 18


    READ MORE >>> http://primalgrowpropill.mystrikingly.com/

    https://sites.google.com/site/primalgrowpropill/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Slim Naturals Benefits of Slim Naturals?
    The digestive system is renewed.
    Internal fat metabolism improves.
    No more and new carb loss done.
    Your recovery duration decreases.
    Reduction happens in appetite.


    READ MORE >>> https://sites.google.com/site/slimnaturalsweb/

    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/slim-naturals-completely-safe-weight-loss-formula

    ReplyDelete
  17. Magnolia Keto Side Effects or the Precautions for Gain from Magnolia Keto
    Do not use if you are allergic to any ingredient mentioned above.
    Never try to change the dose quantity without any prescription by the doctor.
    In case of any severe reaction, go at your doctor first.


    READ MORE >>> http://magnoliaketo.mystrikingly.com/

    https://sites.google.com/site/magnoliaketonew/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Trim Fast Keto What’s more, here it asserts that the same old usage of Trim Fast Keto Pills gets into the weight loss method of ketosis hastily. Every one of these cases takes place in light of the fact that the BHB of this recipe is compelling, and increment the frame’s ketones to begin your keto country. Also, this will work to make fat as a gas for the frame and consume off the fats cells for the imperativeness/power advent. Utilizing it likewise lift up the power degree, and following a ketogenic weight loss plan provide numerous medical benefits.

    There are likewise serotonin hormone affects manifest when you're taking Trim Fast Keto day by day, which tries to make your yearning and stress lower generally.


    Visit Official Website >>> https://www.facebook.com/Trim-Fast-Keto-100740301581169/

    https://sites.google.com/site/trimfastketoofficialweb/

    https://utah.instructure.com/eportfolios/36127/Home/Trim_Fast_Keto_Pills_Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  19. Biolife Keto Avantages de Biolife Keto?
    Les ingrédients naturels de Biolife Keto le rendent bénéfique pour vous et les bienfaits sont ici: -

    Il améliore la force, l'endurance et l'énergie de votre corps.
    Il augmente votre taux métabolique.
    Il réduit votre niveau de stress et vous fait vous détendre.
    Il agit rapidement pour améliorer le processus de cétose dans votre corps.
    Il contrôle votre tension artérielle et votre cholestérol.
    Il maintient votre poids santé et brûle le surplus de votre corps.
    Il contrôle votre taux de sucre.


    READ MORE >>> https://sites.google.com/site/biolifeketonew/

    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/biolife-keto-vous-voulez-couper-votre-graisse-corporelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Realtone Keto When Fats are broken down, they create a lot of energy in the form of ATP. This keeps you energized and keeps you filled for quite a while. You will get less Hungry, and that will keep your snack intake less.

    READ MORE >>> http://realtoneketonew.mystrikingly.com/

    https://sites.google.com/site/realtoneketonew/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Biolife Keto Avantages
    100% sûr et naturel
    Des éléments simplement naturels sont inclus dans sa formulation
    Cliniquement prouvé et testé au laboratoire GMP
    Vous aide à obtenir la satisfaction totale des résultats
    Ce supplément peut être utilisé par les sexes
    Les inconvénients


    READ MORE >>> https://sites.google.com/site/biolifeketofr/

    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/biolife-keto-une-mthode-plus-simple-pour-perdre-du-poids

    ReplyDelete
  22. Keto Lyte Ingredients in Keto Lyte
    BHB Ketones
    It one of the best and the major ingredient in this formula. This ingredient promotes ketosis in the body. It also improves blood circulation and regulates a healthy cholesterol level in the body.

    Raspberry Ketones
    The use of raspberry ketones has become popular with the passage of time. This is a very popular weight loss ingredient that also controls the blood pressure of the body.


    READ MORE >>> https://sites.google.com/site/ketolyte2020/

    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/keto-lyte-the-best-way-to-undergo-rapid-weight-loss

    ReplyDelete
  23. VidaGenex Keto Burn People who are using these pills can be seen happy and relaxed. The supplement also helps in reducing the fluctuation of mood.
    People get their desired physique.
    There is no need for a diet plan if people use this supplement.


    READ MORE >>> https://sites.google.com/site/vidagenexketoburnweb/

    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/vidagenex-keto-burn-update-2020-11-things-you-need-to-know

    ReplyDelete
  24. Biogenix RX According to the examine, those Supplements which comprise natural components do now not encompass any undesirable consequences and convey benefits too. There aren't any unstable element results of the product to make sure that you placed it to use in an outstanding way. Be superb that you use pills in a day if you would really like to find out a higher very last consequences.

    READ MORE >>> http://biogenixrxnew.mystrikingly.com/

    https://tryf82.wixsite.com/biogenixrx

    ReplyDelete

  25. There are not any imitation Vitrexotin chemical substances or new The manufacturing enterprise furthermore asserts that the item will show display show consequences in 15 days of everyday utilization. In the event, the product didn’t offer any effects the client can claim for the cash all all all yet again. The object includes the best hundred% cash decrease all yet again guarantee, so there’s surely no prospect of getting any lessen price after looking for this supplement.

    Vitrexotin Male Enhancement is created of steeply-priced substances that encourage the human frame and make it free of all ailments. The normal use of the supplement also can moreover furthermore furthermore perform wonders. This supplement not excellent will boom your sexual talents but furthermore gives strength and staying energy. Vitrexotin It keeps your warm temperature thru the day and can help one to perform properly ultimately of sexual competencies.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ultra Trim Keto Ultra Trim Keto Details
    Ultra Trim Keto is a fantastic weight loss formula that is made with some herbal or additional ingredients to lose weight. This FDA approved supplement is easy to digest or inhale.

    People start picking the extensive surgeries for the weight reduction aim they go at the operations, or this way is more harmful or challenging to adopt.


    READ MORE >>> https://sites.google.com/site/ultratrimketo2020/

    https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/ultra-trim-keto-1-ketogenic-weight-loss-pills

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pure Sol Keto As a cure for all of this issues, we are bringing to you the most beneficial keto product that is here to support weight loss and make your life easy and great going again by giving you slimness and a lean body that you had always desired and many of you must have also worked a lot for the purpose of attaining it. It is going to provide you all the help that you will need as a part of weight loss so that the process becomes an easy one for you!

    READ MORE >>> http://puresolketo-2020.mystrikingly.com/

    https://sites.google.com/site/puresolketo2020/

    ReplyDelete