Sunday, September 14, 2014

It's Not Always Roses and Sunshine

One thing I've always wanted to do was portray a really honest perspective on this blog and on my career.

As I've entered this new journey of being a Principal/Lead Learner I've tried really showing my journey.  What I've failed to show though, is the struggles.

You see, I absolutely love my job.  I haven't for even one second thought I made the wrong decision.  I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be and that God has a great plan for me!

What I want to share though is that this road this last month hasn't been without it's many mistakes and failures.

I tend to be a perfectionist, and that causes many issues in and of itself, but if wielded well, it also helps me achieve great things!

One of my major missteps this school year has been remembering I'm an instructional leader.  That besides just being the figurehead of the campus or whatever, I also need to be helping with instruction.  Especially with so many brand new teachers on the campus.  That became glaringly obvious to me when I invited Erin Klein and Tom Murray to come work with my staff.  As I sat and listened to the many ideas Tom and Erin shared, I was in awe.  But at the same time I was smacked right across the face with what I had forgotten to do.

Immediately after the training I sent an apology email to my staff, letting them know I now realized a mistake I had made. And since then I've made a concerted effort to be more involved with helping create a road map instructionally with the teachers.

Other little things that I've made not so amazing decisions on are the tables we bought, the beginning of the year "trip", and many many more!

You see, this post is to share that even though I've written about the WONDERFUL things that are happening at NIS, I also wanted to send a reminder that there are tough days.  Really tough days.  There are days when you feel like every single decision you make is the wrong one.  There are days where you feel like you're fighting a losing battle.  There are days when you feel like no one is on your side.

But guess what? Those days are the days that make us better.  They make us stronger.  We need the tough days to help us be more grateful for the great days.  Because life isn't going to be all roses and sunshine all the time. There will be those days full of storm clouds and thorns.

Lean on those around you, seek out advice, and keep focused on the goal of always doing what's best for kids.  That's what I do and I know that in the end it will all work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment